Mint Chevron

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Here's the Story, Of a Lovely Lady...

May 11, 2011 will forever be the day our lives flipped upside down and inside out (and not just because our heater/AC went out!). I woke up around 5 am because Tinker needed to go outside. I decided to just go back to sleep on the couch because our house (particularly our bedroom) felt like a sauna. Around 5:15 I felt what I can only describe as a dripping sensation. I quickly stood up because I realized my water had broken! I called for Josh to come downstairs (poor guy, he was awoken from a dead sleep by me yelling "JOSH! GET DOWN HERE, MY WATER BROKE!") and he said, "What do we do now?!?!" Thankfully, we had posted the directions for what to do on the fridge because we knew we would not be thinking clearly when the big moment arrived. The doctor told us to go ahead and come on. I of course had to take a shower, get dressed, put on a little make-up, and fix my hair. Yes, there are things even motherhood can't change about me! :-) So, Josh loaded up the car and we headed to Community North. Here is the last pic of my baby bump:


















When we arrived at the hospital, they took me to triage to evaluate where my labor was at. I was dilated to 3 centimeters and since my water had already broken, they officially admitted me and we made our way up to the 5th floor. My OBGYN came to check on me a little while later and decided we would re-evaluate the situation at 10:15 and start Pitocin if necessary. Well, after a very uncomfortable exam at 10:15, Pitocin was started and I was also given an epidural. Now, I am not one to judge but let me just say you would have to be crazy not to do an epidural! It made child birth a VERY pleasant experience! In fact it wasn't until the end when it was time to push that I really even felt any thing. Any who, the next few hours moved very quickly. By noon I was at 6 centimeters and at 2:30 I had dilated to 8.5 centimeters. My nurse then had me lay in a position called "Texas Roll". Within 5 minutes, I was at 10 centimeters. The team quickly called my OB and prepped the room for the delivery. Josh and I tried to mentally prepare for Baby Banks to join us on the outside.













While we were waiting for Dr. Stuhldreher to arrive, she had given the nurses instructions for me do some "practice pushing". I was also told I needed to "Boot Camp Pushing" and not "Princess Pushing" in order to move the process along (I compromised and put on some lip gloss in preparation for the "Boot Camp Pushing"). When you are pushing, they have you take a deep breath, hold it, and then push for ten seconds three times. As I was starting to push, the nurse counted to 3 before she said, "STOP! STOP! STOP!" Immediately concerned that something was wrong, we asked what the problem was. Apparently, Baby Banks' head was already starting to come out! Girlfriend may have been two days late, but she was now in a hurry and trying to make up some time! Dr. Stuhldreher then arrived and we resumed pushing. Within 5 minutes, Olivia Marie Banks was out and loudly letting me know of her arrival!

Weighing in at 8 lbs, 0.5 ounces, 20 inches long, and with a full head of dark brown hair (guess I know what all the heart burn was about!) our daughter was here and beautiful!













I too cried right along with her for quite a while! After months of hoping and praying, she was absolutely everything we had dreamed of.













A perfect, healthy baby girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment